Re: Mutt dependency on an MTA

On Tue, Aug 03, 1999 at 01:36:32AM +0200, Martin Bialasinski wrote:

> * "Kaa" == Kaa  <k_a_a_x@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Kaa> you don't know about it. My specific problem was solved by
> Kaa> downloading equivs and installing a fake package for an MTA, but
> Kaa> that looks and smells like a big kludge.

> Actually, I do not think so. Creating a dummy MTA package is a very
> clean (=fitting to the system) way to tell dpkg about locally
> installed software. An alternative would be a plain text file.

*nods*.  I think what's being asked for is more a nicer way to create
them, rather than a change in implementation.

That said, an interface which is too easy could be misinterpreted ("I
have" changing to "I want") and lead to broken systems and if the user
is capable of maintaining something like an MTA then the chances are
that the difficulty involved will not be high.  One of the main reasons
for using Debian is that it is so highly packaged and well integrated.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/