Re: Install Source Packages

>How can I install a tar package and replace a debian package. I would
>like to install perl 5.005_03. I tried to remove the old one with
>dselect and all the web packages were gone.
>So, is there any chance either to remove the old perl stuff and keep the
>dependent packages or can I build a deb package from the tar file?

How easy this is to do depends on how much that package you are replacing
will change with the upgrade.

Assuming that the package is not a dependant of another package, you can
remove the debian version and use 'alien' to install the tgz version.

HOWEVER, perl is not such a package.  The unstable distribution of
debian has been flopping around like a fish on a pier for a short time now,
because of the introduction of perl 5.005.  A large number of
debian's scripts and installation system use perl, and break when you
upgrade.  Once the devel people have everything figured out,
it will be fairly easy to upgrade.

Carl