Re: ps/2 model 90

"Gary L. Hennigan" wrote:

> Peter Allen <P.Allen@pallen.dabsol.co.uk> writes:
> | Ok, I give up,
> | having found an old ps2 90 lying around I decided to set it up to
> | do all the dogs body tasks like email etc.  I have got everything
> | working except X.  What graphics card is the default one in this
> | baby, as I cannot find it anywhere on the net.  Also which xserver
> | is the one to use?
> | The computer is a 486 about ?50Mhz? and uses MCA bus.
> | Thankyou,
>
> Of course the first thing to try is just a vanilla VGA server. Does
> that work? If not the only exception to the "Every card does VGA" rule

It doesn't work.  The screen goes white, (running XF86Setup or startx)
and thats it.  It resizes twice in XF86Setup, and then nothing.
If I switch back to the console all the characters are mucked up. It
looks like everythings been bitshifted one way or another, as the only
thing that stays as it is meant to be is the space. (ascii 0)(I think.)
I have to reset to regain normality, so a real non-vga card.

> that I can think of are the old Hercules cards, or even older CGA
> cards, but I can't imagine an "as shipped" PS/2 using one of
> these. The more advanced PS/2's used 8514 cards so you can try
> that. Then later PS/2's used XGA cards. I have no idea if X servers
> exist for 8514 or XGA, but both of these were backward compatible with
> VGA.

Thanks for the info on that.  I shall try them (xserver agx for xga.)

			Peter Allen