Re: technical mail setup question (and a little of what was: calling Philip Hands)

[Please CC me, I don't follow debian-user]

> attention now (especially those of you advocating using your isp's
> relay.) to a very real technical question in debian-user (please
> follow-up to his question there):
>
> Allan M. Wind has a local LAN, I have a dynamic IP, both of us have the
> problem that the hostname that our local Sendmail is telling our ISP's
> SMTP relays is not a resolvable hostname.  The relay declines to do the
> transaction.  Solution?

Is it during the HELO (EHLO) negotiation that the remote system rejects
you (in which case I'd consider it broken) or does it reject your
MAIL FROM: ?

In the latter case you need to fix your mailer to use an envelope with
a resovable domain (if you don't do this you will not see any error mails).
If you are using sendmail with the m4 config files, you need to use
FEATURE(masquerade_envelope). For other mailers, consult your local guru.

/Anders

Anders Hammarquist                                  | iko@cd.chalmers.se
Physics student                                     | Hem: +46 31 47 69 27
Chalmers University of Technology, G|teborg, Sweden | Mob: +46 707 27 86 87