Re: Mail Relay for Debian

On Wed, 2 Jun 1999, Anthony Landreneau wrote:

> Greetings,
> 	I host several domains and would like to have my DNSs get and hold mail
> when remote WAN host  drop off line.  I had been using sendmail, but it has
> become MUCH to complicated for this task.  I am looking for a simple, yet
> controllable, program that will relay mail for my hosted domains.

S'funny, I thought sendmail had become simpler with the improvements in
the M4 config.

But if that is what you are doing the MTA is pretty irrelevant, IMHO.
There should be nothing you need to do, because if the host is not
answering the mail will be queued.  That is how SMTP works.  Unless you
are serving the remote WAN hosts with dynamic IP addresses.  And then the
problem is not with the MTA, but with the name server.  What you need is
dynamic updating of your name server config, giving the host, when it is
off line, an IP address (in the DNS config) that will never be used.  And
when it connects, adjusting named.hosts (e.g. with an include file) and
running named.reload.

Incidentally, I notice that smail is the MTA favoured by Debian.

--Mike