Re: Death of a 2nd WD hard drive

On Wed, 2 Jun 1999, Douglas Federman wrote:

> I have experienced the death of 2 new WD Caviar drives after
> installing and running Debian Linux.  Each drive started with a
> clicking noise, several weeks later read errors appeared and now
> completely dead.  WD replaced the first drive without question.
> Before I replace the second, could Linux be causing this?  The
> machine is a Gateway P-II 350.

I had a 1.6 GB Caviar drive to die with that horrible clicking
prior to its death.The computer was at 1992 vintage 486-33.

The WD Caviar 1.6 GB drives are reputed to be flakey. It was a
design flaw of some kind. They apparently rectivied the problem.

I bought a 2GB WD drive to replace it prior to submitting it to WD
for repair/replacement. WD replaced the 1.6 Gig drive without
question. The 2 GB drive is still running.

--David
David Teague, dbt@cs.wcu.edu
Debian GNU/Linux Because software support is free, timely,
                 useful, technically accurate, and friendly.
                        (Thanks guys!)