Further question re. dpkg and apt (was: Re: GNOME Installation)

>M> I'm trying to install GNOME by hand, and I need to install
>M> libgnome32 to continue.  When I try to install it, I am told that
>M> it depends on having libgnomeui32 installed.  But when I try to
>M> install that, it says i need to already have libgnome32 in.
>
>You have to install these packages simultaneously. with dpkg -i
>package1 package2.
>
>SO the best thing is to copy all files into a directory (in /tmp or
>such), and run dpkg -i *.deb

Q1: Does this solve the dependency problems on the fly?

Q2: Can you use a similar syntax with apt? If so, what is that syntax?

I read the comment on AOL. Even if you can get thru on the net then it is
still preferable for many people to first download the packages during a
quiet time and then install them later. I thought to set up apt with access
to the CD-ROM and a directory with the downloaded files, so it could figure
out the dependencies and get the files from either place. However, apt
needs a packages.gz file for the directory in order to know what is in the
directory. I haven't figured out what the solution for this is. If someone
has an idea then mail it to the group please.

Hans