Re: Telnet/ftp unidirectional grant timing PB

On Wed, Jun 02, 1999 at 12:23:52PM +0200, Jean-Yves F. Barbier wrote:
> I'm trying to make a little network at home: PII400-486DX2/66 (as server).
>
> The problem is from the PII to the 486: if I try to make a telnet or a ftp from
> the PII, it takes 1min15 to the process to appear on a 'top' listing on the 486,
> and the whole time between typing 'telnet (or ftp) 192.168.1.1' and having the
> loggin on the screen from the 486 is 2min30 (stuck @ "Character Escape '^]', no
> ctrl-c is possible).
The tcpd tries a reverse lookup of the IP address and needs a timeout to
fail. Add the IP address of both computers to the /etc/hosts file on the
486. (and on the other one too just to make sure) or setup a local
nameserver (which is probably overkill).

Nils

--
Plug-and-Play is really nice, unfortunately it only works 50% of the time.
To be specific the "Plug" almost always works.            --unknown source