Re: SVGA server

On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, Paul Nesbit wrote:

> Hi,
>     I 'm a newbie to linux, and have chosen Debian (slink?) as the
> distribution that I will learn from.

Welcome! (:

> My install was successful, and now I have a long list of things to do:
>     Configure XF86
>     Configure PPP
>     Rebuild and customize Kernel
>     Upgrade to most recent dist.

Looks ok to me. The only thing i might change is to configure PPP before
XF86.

> I'm still stuck trying to configure XF86:
>     When I try to select my video card (Trident GUI 9660) the Xf86Setup
> says I need to be running /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA, which isn't on my
> sysstem.  /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_VGA16 is there, not that is matters.
> Where do I get XF86_SVGA.  Am I just missing the package?  I've tried
> finding a package with that name using dselect (&CD ROM) with no luck.
> What am I missing?

The package is named "xserver-svga", it should be in main/x11. In the
dselect package listing, you can press '/' to enter search mode, then type
the name of the package and it'll search for it for you. Alternatively,
you can find it manually on the CD and do "dpkg -i package.deb"