Re: SVGA server

On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, Paul Nesbit wrote:

> Hi,
>     I 'm a newbie to linux, and have chosen Debian (slink?) as the
> distribution that I will learn from.  My install was successful, and now
> I have a long list of things to do:
>     Configure XF86
>     Configure PPP
>     Rebuild and customize Kernel
>     Upgrade to most recent dist.
>
> Does this order of ops sound good, or should I rethink this strategy?
> (I've been struggling with many details, and I see now Linux users are
> no dummies)
> I'm still stuck trying to configure XF86:
>     When I try to select my video card (Trident GUI 9660) the Xf86Setup
> says I need to be running /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA, which isn't on my
> sysstem.  /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_VGA16 is there, not that is matters.
> Where do I get XF86_SVGA.  Am I just missing the package?  I've tried
> finding a package with that name using dselect (&CD ROM) with no luck.
> What am I missing?

Personally, I would probably configure ppp before XF86; it's easier to do
(less prone to error), and it'll allow you to download more recent
packages than what may be on your CD. Just run (as root) pppconfig (some
of the questions are a little less than intuitive, but you can probably
get through it).

I BELIEVE the XF86_SVGA server is in the SVGA package. Hold on and I'll
check....

Nope; I was wrong. It's in the xserver-svga package.

--
Kent West
kent.west@infotech.acu.edu