Re: XF86Setup

> Von: Andrei Ivanov <c680789@showme.missouri.edu>
> >This is called a virtual desktop. When you are configuring the order of
> >modes, it asks you whether you want virtual desktop or not. Since you
> >don't want it, say No. I can't stand it either...but I use 3 out of 4
> >desktop screens.
>
> I've run XF86Setup a dozen times in the last day or two, but I wasn't aware
> of being invited to do anything I would call 'configuring the order of
> modes'.  Certainly, nobody asked me if if I wanted virtual desktop.  But
> you've got three desktop screens running, which gives me hope.

try xf86config instead. Even though it's a text version of XF86Setup, it
might give you better functionality. (This is where the order of modes and
turning virtual desktop on/off comes from).
By default you can have 4 desktop screens. You switch between them with
Ctrl+arrow keys (You start at top left, if you Ctrl+left, you will go to
next one. Not sure if twm (I assume you are starting with the default twm)
even supports it, but my AfterStep does.

 A fundamental problem I seem to have is that when I run startx it only looks
> at the VGA16 section and only at the 'depth 4' subsection. (That's the only
> subsection XF86Setup writes in XF86Config, and when I added an 8-bit
> subsection with a different screen size it was ignored.)  If I comment it
> out, it returns an error and refuses to start.  I have an API Mach64 card
> which is detected together with chip, ramdac etc with no complaint, and
> XF86Setup writes all the details in XF86Config.  So does anyone know why I'm
> stuck with a 16-colour one-size display?  You've all been very patient up to
> now.  Please don't give up on me.

Try to get it to work with SVGA server, instead of using the Mach64
accelerated server. I tried using S3 accel. server, but never got anything
better than 320x200 8bit screen out of it.

Andrei

 Andrei S. Ivanov
 Scorpio@hushmail.com
 c680789@showme.missouri.edu