2 lingering probs

Prob #1
I'm running slink, upgraded libc6.2.1.1 because wine needed it: ran into
too many problems, so went back to libc6.2.0.7.  Now, when I boot up,
/etc/X/Xresourses/xterm is not read.  So, I have to: xrdb -merge xterm
to get the file read.  What do I need to do to remedy this?

Prob #2
  Printing:
After bootup, I cannot do a print job until I:
rmmod lp
then
insmod lp

Then my print job is sent to the printer.  I only have to do this the
first time after bootup, then I have no problem with any other print
jobs I send.
My current /etc/modules contain:
auto
serial
isofs
lp

Although, I've tried without auto, and omitted lp from the file.

lsmod is constant with:
lp                 2            0

Although, with many early attempts at reconfigurations, ls mod showed an
"autoclean" when it wouldn't print and then dissapear when a print job
was sent. So, at one point I thought this might have been causing my
non-printing problem, but autoclean hasn't been showing up lately. (what
is autoclean?)
Also, an lpq shows "no entries" when a print job is lost.

I'm running KDE.  Oh, that reminds me.  About the same time I tried the
libc6 upgrade, I upgraed the KDE, and had to install xdm, but disabled
it with a "update-rc.d xdm remove" Any more info you need to help me
solve this, I'll happily supply.

John
--

* Window users:  Move up to Linux  *