Re: Floppy drive problem.

"N. Raghavendra" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a Debian newbie and have the following problem with my floppy drives.
> There are two of them: a 1.44 MB floppy drive and an unused 1.2 MB floppy
> drive.  In the BIOS setup I have configured the 1.44 MB drive as A: and
> the other floppy drive as B:.
Are you *sure*?  Typically, the BIOSes I've seen let you configure the
*drive densities* any way you want, but which one is really the A: and
which the B: drive depends on where the drives are on the cable.  You'll
see flaky problems in DOS or Linux if you get it the wrong way round.
I.e., your statement:

>In the BIOS setup I have configured the 1.44 MB drive as A: and
> the other floppy drive as B:

probably ought to be:

> In the BIOS setup I have configured the A: drive as 1.44 MB and
> the other floppy drive (B:) as 1.2 MB.

Big difference, and the wrong thing to do.  :-)

Maybe this is no longer true in the newer BIOSes, but I tend to doubt
it...  I'll bet your drives don't work "right" in DOS either.

I'd go with David Teague and say turn your cable around.

[cut etc]