Installing separate packages / graphical login

hello, folks

as I´m a debian newbie (coming from suse), may be the following
questions are stupid, but I got stuck with them.

1) Is there a way to install a deb-package which is not included in the
standard distribution.
If I try to install a package that I downloaded from Internet, dselect
always asks me on some package.cd files to recognize the packages as
part of the distribution, which of course I cannot give, and so dselect
does not do the job; and alien does only work correct with small
packages (deb -> rpm -> install) without broken dependencies

2) where is the information stored, that debian starts with graphical
login? I want to finish boot process at the prompt, but debian always
starts his graphical login utility. Can this behaviour only be changed
by deinstalling the utility?

thanks in advance
Roger