Re: magicfilter and a2ps

Quoting Alberto Maurizi (alberto@alice.fisbat.bo.cnr.it):

> 	Does anybody use a2ps in magicfilter as the default for
> 	plain text? (e.g. to avoid waste of paper, save forests
> 	... and get nicer presentation of plain text ...)
>
> 	If so, how could the filename and username
> 	be printed in the a2ps formatted page?
>
> 	I tried using
>
> default                 pipe    /usr/bin/a2ps -o -
>
> 	but I obtain "stdin" for file name and "lp" for user ("Printed
> 	by ..").

It doesn't look straightforward if you use a2ps as the last resort.
I would suggest you use a2ps to print the file (as postscript) and
let magicfilter handle that.

a2ps has so many options, and they all changed between bo and hamm,
so I use a bash wrapper for the ones I commonly want, and I have a
copy of dwww's realpath to print the canonical name of the file
rather than what I typed. For example, 2up landscape:

    if [ "$1" == "" ]; then
        echo Usage: l2up filename-to-be-printed-landscape [options-for-a2ps]
    else
        {
        REALPATH=`$HOME/realpath $1` ;
        shift;