Re: missing files: 'no' and library panel

Micha Feigin wrote:

> when trying to compile a few programs writen for gtk (to run under
> gnome) i got mesages that /bin/sh: couldn't find no ...

I think that no is part of the gettext package, which enables
internationalization support.  Installing that package should
fix the problem.

Alternatively, if you are not interested in having multiple-language
support, you could run configure with --disable-nls.

> and "... -lpanel ... can't find library".
> anyone knows where i can find these to files?

The program you are compiling needed a library called libpanel.so.

You either (1) have that library, but the linker just couldn't find
it, or (2) you don't have it at all.

If your problem is (1), then you can perhaps just run "ldconfig"
(as root), and recompile.

If you compiled gnome yourself, then you might need to add the
path to the gnome libraries to /etc/ld.so.conf, before you
run ldconfig.  The default is /usr/local/lib, which is probably
already in ld.so.conf.  If you compiled gnome into a different
directory, you may need to add the /lib subdir of that directory
to ld.so.conf, and rerun ldconfig.  (If you don't know where your
libraries are being installed, find / -name 'libpanel.*' -print
will look in every nook & cranny on your system trying to find the
file.)  If you installed gnome from the debian staging area, then
this shouldn't be necessary, and you're probably in case (2).

If running ldconfig doesn't work, you are probably in case (2).  I'm
not sure which gnome package contains that library, probably
gnome-core.  You'd need to install that package.

HTH,

Kirk