strange behavior in script(1)

I am looking for a way to run an arbitrary command inside a script(1)
session without having to type the name of the command after I type
'script'.    I know about shell redirection so please don't suggest I
switch to that.

In the man page, they suggest I try the SHELL environment variable.
I created a script, chmod'd it, and placed its full path and name in
the SCRIPT variable... It didn't work.

However, when I run 'strace -f script'  it DOES work.

SO...  How do I get it to work without using strace?

Carl