Re: LS-120 vs floppy

Quoting harsh@bajor2.lanl.gov (harsh@bajor2.lanl.gov):

> My system has an LS-120 instead of a floppy. How can I install LILO on the
> LS-120, /dev/hdc. Also the resuce disk I have, which is how I currently boot
> into linux vs NT was made on another box with a floppy, I have not been
> able to make a bootable rescue disk in the LS120. The hardware HOWTO says that
> the LS120 is supported, but it does not appear to work as the system
> floppy(?).

At any rate with hamm, IDEFLOPPY was not compiled into the installation/
rescue kernel. The rescue floppy would boot (because the bios does that)
but you couldn't even read the drivers floppy to insmod a module. So
you need to compile your own kernel. Sorry, ought to. I guess you could
get hold of ide-floppy.o and insmod it with /etc/modules .

Likewise, you may not be able to format a floppy disk in an LS120 if
you're running NTW4.0 with service pack 3. You need to copy the file
atapi.sys from service pack 2. This fault has a very similar effect for
NT - you can't make an NT rescue disk because it insists on formatting
the disk first.

Cheers,