Re: What DO you lose with Linux ???

On Sat, Apr 10, 1999 at 12:47:34PM -0700, fockface dickmeat wrote:
> That's fine if you have a nice little linux box, with a static IP. The
> 99.5% of the planet that doesn't is screwed. If you don't want large
> attachments, then set sendmail (or whatever else you're using) to
> reject it. You shouldn't hope that others "follow the rules", protect
> your system and don't care what "they're" doing.

    Wrong.  99.5% of the population has access to an FTP server that will
allow aonymous FTP access.  They can place the file there.  They could also
place the file on an HTTP server if they so desire.  They do not need to the
file to reside on their machine at the time the reader actually opens the
file.

    I have a Linux box with a static IP on a dedicated connection and I do
*NOT* have people FTP from it.  It only has a 33.6k connection.  I FTP to my
work's servers and let the reader download at their leasure from a fast
site.

    For the 0.5% that don't have such access, as you so eloquently said,
they're screwed.

--
             Steve C. Lamb             | Opinions expressed by me are not my
    http://www.calweb.com/~morpheus    | employer's.  They hired me for my