Re: Potato and egcs

On Sat, Apr 03, 1999 at 12:18:50AM -0800, George Bonser wrote:

> Ok, whose big idea was it not to provide a real gcc in potato?  Maybe it
> is me but I couldn't find one.  I did an auto-upgrade and broke my ability
> to compile 2.0.27-pre kernels cleanly.
>
> I don't mind being offered egcs but I would LIKE the chance to stay with
> gcc. Forcing egcs is fine IF debian is going to produce patched versions
> of all the latest kernels so they will work.
>
> I happen to need 2.0.37 (because it has the Initio support I need, it is
> more up to date than 2.2.5). Try to compile it with potato and you get a
> couple of pages of bitching and complaining about egcs and the compile
> dies.
>
> And no, I am probably NOT going to limit myself to building only from
> Debian approved source trees.
>

> George Bonser
>
> Support The THING -- http://shorelink.com/~grep/THING.html
>

> --

First, don't complain. One of the listed goals for potato on
debian-devel (you do read that, don't you? potato is a DEVELOPERS RELEASE)
is to use EGCS for compilation. Use Slink if you can't handle occasional
system breaks. Also, don't start blaming people left and right. You
are the one who chose to upgrade your GCC.

Just use the GCC from Slink. I'm still using it because
I have some apps that don't cope well with glibc2.1.

--
Stephen Pitts
smpitts@midsouth.rr.com