Re: Newbie question on dselect

Rick.Tan@Eng.Sun.COM (Rick Tan) writes:

> I just successfully installed slink 2.1 on a sparc machine.  When I attempted
> to use "dselect" to install some other packages off the net, I ran into the
> following problem.
>
> Get http://http.us.debian.org stable/contrib Packages
> Get http://http.non-us.debian.org stable/non-US Packages
> Error http://http.us.debian.org stable/contrib Packages
>  Couldn't lookup host http.us.debian.org
> Error http://http.non-us.debian.org stable/non-US Packages
>  Couldn't lookup host http.non-us.debian.org

> I believe the errors in the above has to do with the fact that the machine
> is behind a firewall.

Um, no, the errors are because it can't resolve the host names.  You
have to have a working DNS configuration (man resolv.conf).
Alternatively, try IP numbers but I'm not sure if that will work or
not.

> How do set the proxy server information in the
> system.  What program or tool is available for this?

Well, this depends on your backend.  I deduce you are using apt.  In
that case, set the 'http_proxy' variable.  I do:

export http_proxy=http://burrito:3128/
dselect