GNOME query

I'm just experimenting with GNOME -- I've never tried it before.
I downloaded some of the packages from the staging area.

Query: how do I start it? I ran panel and got a nice panel.
Later I ran gnome-session, which told me that panel was already running
and asked if I want another.

I restarted everything and just ran gnome-session, and eventually
I get a solid colour background and gnome-help but no panel.

What's the best window manager to use to? I installed enlightment
(never used this before either!) and all I get from it is a bar up the
top. No default configuration? Strange.

My xinitrc so far says

#!/bin/bash
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin

enlightenment &
gnome-session &
xterm

Please help me make this do something useful. :-)

thanks,

Hamish (diehard fvwm2 user)

--
Hamish Moffatt VK3TYD.