scheme, SLIB and JACAL

I have just been reading about JACAL, a symbolic mathematics system,
written under scheme.  I found its web page at

    http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~jaffer/JACAL.html

It is GNU licenced, but there doesn't seem to be a debian package for
it.  Anyway, I was interested in trying it out, so I downloaded it.
It says it needs "SLIB" installed in order to run it --- in fact, SLIB
was written by the same guy who wrote JACAL.  I noticed that SLIB is
in fact packaged for Debian, so that was fine.

The next thing is to find an implementation of scheme.  I know very
little about scheme, or which scheme to used.  I saw that "rscheme"
was a package so I tried installing that.  But I didn't know how to
get SLIB initialized with it.  There seem also to be other versions of
scheme such as "guile" and more.

Could someone give me some clues as to which version of scheme I
should use, and how I should get it to use SLIB?

Thanks,

Mark.