Re: [OffTopic] OSS word processor projects?

Stephen Pitts wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 31, 1999 at 08:51:22PM -0500, Ed Cogburn wrote:
> >

> >       I know about PW (Pathetic Writer which is part of SIAG) and
> > AbiWord (a GTK project), but I'm curious to know if there are any
> > other WP projects in existence out there, especially if one of the
> > goals is being able to read and write MS Word files.
> >

> > --
> > Ed C.
> >

> > --
> >

> KOffice is shaping up, from the look of the screenshots at
> http://koffice.kde.org. Personally, I recently purchased a copy
> of Wordperfect 8.

	I was considering buying WP8 too.  Its very impressive, at least
to me.  However, I asked Corel if they would be updating it to
libc6, and they said they have no plans to do so.  I may be
over-reacting, but this lead me to wonder how committed they
really are to the Linux community.  Netscape chose to do so,
although their libc6 version is 'unsupported'.  This issue may
depend on how many distros are still based on libc5, I don't know.

--
Ed C.