Re: Script to check whether modem telephone line in use --- how?

> 	Put this is /usr/local/bin and call it ispon It isnt anything
> fancy but it should work for you until ppp's maintainer, Philip Hands, has
> time to maybe add a check into ppp itself. when run it'll simply tell you
> if pppd is or isn't running.

Woopse, I didn't explain myself clearly enough.  My father is on the
phone-line using a completely different computer (and modem).  His
computer is upstairs, connected to one phone socket.  My computer is
downstairs, connected to a different phone socket.  My machine is
running linux; his machine is running Windows 95.

I hope this explains now why I was trying to write a script that would
actually allow me to hear what was on the phoneline, enabling me to
determine if my father was actually using it.  (At the moment the only
way is to physically go upstairs and check his computer/ask him.)

Cheers,

Mark.