Re: kernel unable to boot -- can't install

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999, Christopher Burrows wrote:

> i recently got a motherboard, and i am unable to boot linux on it. this is
> very frustrating, and i am looking for someone to help me, if at all possible,
> diagnose what is going wrong.

> here is what happens: i am trying to boot off the slink rescue disk (1.44),
> and initially the "welcome screen" appears. i hit enter to boot. then i see
> the "loading....." business for the usual amount of time. once this is through,
> the kernel begins to boot and report its status -- but it gets no more than
> a screen-length into that process when the machine reboots. i am unable to
> tell what the last step is _before_ the machine reboots, because it happens
> very very quickly.

I got a motherboard that did this a while back.  I did a DejaNews search
and discovered that this was fixed, at least in my case by updating the
BIOS. I had to boot DOS to do the flash upgrade, but it fixed my problem.
--
Jonathan Guthrie (jguthrie@brokersys.com)
Brokersys  +281-895-8101   http://www.brokersys.com/