Re: Creation of Device for CD-ROM

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999, Russell Rademacher wrote:

> Hello guys.
>
>         I need a little refresher here.  I need to make a new device to hook up
> the CD to the fstab.  Basically... I have 4 IDE Drives which is basically used
> by hdax, hdbx, hdcx and hddx.  I have a old model LaserMate CD Drive hooked up
> though the antique Packard Bell Sound Galaxy Sound Card which it is detected
> and found the CD-ROM.
>
>         But problem is... I do not have the hde set so I need it created and
> set so that it can be accessed.  What is that command and steps to create a new
> device for so that I can mount it and set the symbolic link to cdrom.
>
>         Thanks guys.  Yeah.. go and laugh your butts off about old Packard
> Bell's sound card and the cd-rom drive.  But at least.. it works so that
> matters for now.  (Been tossing together some oddball computer out of old parts
> found in the closet. :P )

Does the Packard-Bell sound card provide an IDE interface?  A lot of those
are proprietary.  If so, you probably will have a different device name
than hde and you may have to compile support into the kernel or as a
module.  What do the kernel messages say when the card and CD-ROM are
detected?

Bob

----