sound device

I have a problem that is baffling me.  It started yesterday when
installing asmixer, which promptly failed to open /dev/mixer.  The
problem seemed to be solved when I deleted the file and linked it to
/dev/audio instead; mixer ran fine, sound played as usual.  However on
reboot sound stopped altogether.  ASmixer, and anything else for that
matter, can't open the sound device.  I tried re-compiling the
kernel, without change.  Have I damaged my sound system beyond repair?