Can't connect to display :0?

I was trying to run a setup program in X.  I logged in as su and ran the script.  This was the error message.  The Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server error is the same message I get when I try to run rvplayer. What does the error mean and how do I fix it?

Spawning X setup utility for Chklogs package
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
Application initialization failed: couldn't connect to display ":0"
Error in startup script: invalid command name "wm"

Lance