Re: xntp3 on dialup - how?

Christian Dysthe <cdysthe@bigfoot.com> writes:
| Hi,
|
| I have installed xntp3 (running slink). However, the daemon is stared from
| init.d and I am not yet online. The log tells me that the network is not
| available (what a surprise!;).
|
| How do I best utilize xntp on a dialup box? Could I put something in
| ppp-up and ppp-down? If this is the case, what?

As root, in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d create a file called something, e.g.,
timesync. In that file should be:
--------------------Start file timesync-------------
#!/bin/sh

if [ -x /etc/init.d/xntp3 ]
then
  /etc/init.d/xntp3 stop > /dev/null 2>&1
fi

if [ -x /usr/sbin/netdate ]
then
  /usr/sbin/netdate your.xntp3.server > /dev/null 2>&1
fi

if [ -x /etc/init.d/xntp3 ]
then
  /etc/init.d/xntp3 restart > /dev/null 2>&1
fi

exit 0
--------------------End file timesync-------------

Don't copy the lines with "-----" on them and make sure you substitute
a real machine name, or IP address, for "your.xntp3.server". Now do
"chmod 700 timesync" and you should be set. Of course, you can make
the script nicer, and personally I never bother with the ip-down thing
to stop xntp. It will run, and probably write complaints in the log,
when you don't have a network connection but I just ignore the
messages.

This is on a Debian "slink" system. I do something different since I
use my own scripts for dialup so take this solution as is, i.e.,
untested.

Gary