CGIWRAP logging problems

Hi there.   I'm using the cgiwrap package from stable, and am having some
problems.  I hope that someone whose used this package can give me a hand with
it.

Basically I installed the package, and then, as user alan created the directory
/home/alan/public_html/cgi-bin  In there I stuck a simple 'hello world' perl
script (test.cgi), and then attempted to run the script from
http://blah.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/alan/test.cgi

The output I get gives me:

CGIWrap encountered a system error:
        When: Could not open log file for appending!
        Error Message: No such file or directory
        Error Number: 2
[...]

I'm wondering if anyone knows exactly where this trys to log (the README.debian
indicates it logs to syslog, but even setting syslogs perms to 666 didn't do
anything.

The homepage and docs don't cover this area very well unfortunately :(

TIA

alan