debian setup headaches

Hello,

OK, in trying to iron out that problem that I was having with not being able to boot from my IDE disk instead of my (non-bootable) SCSI disk, I've run into a problem in even getting Debian running at all. I've started from scratch, repartitioned, and reformatted through the setup process, and made a boot floppy ( did I mention that the setup still doen't let me boot from the IDE drive?). Problem is, and I've done this like 5 times already (from scratch), I try booting on the floppy, and I get crc errors. This is using different floppoes every time (and they check out when scanned). In case you're curious, my RAM timings are set to their defaults in BIOS, and there's nothign trciky about any of the other settings in BIOS.

To be perfectly honest, I thought Debian would be a thoughtful, and competent upgrade from Red Hat, but for something as simple, and probably very common as my setup, I cannot get it to work. Just for kicks, I tried RH 5.1 to see if there was anything totally messed up in my setup. Nope, setup just fine, w/o a hitch. Hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction on this, or cheapbytes.com is getting another order, from me, and it ain't gonna be for Debian.

advTHANKSance
-lev