dselect "internal error"

Dselect is having a problem on my system. When I choose the [I]nstall
option from its main menu, the following message appears:

  internal error - no filename at -e line 12, <P> chunk 14.

  installation script returned error exit status 1.
  Press RETURN to continue.

Upon pressing RETURN, the main menu appears again.
Obviously, something's wrong, but the meaning of the above error message
is not exactly clear to me...

Some background:
In the beginning of February this year, after using SLS and Slackware
Linux for about 5 years, I decided to give Debian (i386 version) a try.
I installed its then 'stable' version over NFS from an NFS server via the
campus ethernet. Back then, dselect worked fine.
Last weekend, I wanted to add and remove some packages, and roughly the
following happened:
- made selections in [S]elect menu
- tried [I]nstall: didn't work because NFS-server had changed
- changed settings in [A]ccess to point to the new NFS-server
- tried [I]nstall: at first, it worked; lots of updates were performed,
  presumably because in the mean time 'stable' had been changed to point
  to a newer version.
  Then it stopped, with some unclear error message, even involving a
  segmentation fault if I'm not mistaking; unfortunately, I didn't
  write it down.
- chose [U]pdate, because I realised that the information my dselect had
  no longer reflected the actual contents of the 'stable' directory on
  the NFS server
- needed to do [S]elect, to resolve some dependencies.
- [I]nstall again, resulting in the above error message (and/or perhaps
  some others before it).
Since then, this error message pops up every time I try [I]nstall.
I'm telling all these details because I suspect that somehow this was
not the right way to cope with the two changes (newer NFS server, and
newer 'stable' distribution).

I hope someone can explain the error message, and knows how to resolve
the problem... If more information is needed, please ask.

Regards,

  Pieter-Tjerk

(ptdeboer@cs.utwente.nl / pa3fwm@amsat.org)