Re: WinNT and Linux install question

rathon wrote:

> Hi,
> Using Debian2.0. My home installation with Linux and Win95 works
> perfectly. Now I am trying to install Linux on my NT machine at
> work.
>
> For my home installation, I used CD-ROM method for installation and
> this is what I did:
> 1)Copy all the CD-ROM drivers from autoexec.bat and config.sys files
> to a DOS bootable diskette.
> 2)Boot from the 'DOS boot diskette+CD-ROM drivers'.
> 3)cd to the CD-ROM drive and run the Linux boot.bat file
> 4)Smooth as silk. It worked fine. No problem.
>
> Problem:
> With the NT machine at work, there is no autoexec.bat or config.sys files.
> So I could not do step#1, #2 as described above.
>
> I do not know how to configure the PC to boot from the CD-ROM.
> Can you help ?
>
> I downloaded the 'Linux+NT-Loader mini HOW-TO' and in step3.3 it says..
> "..Now boot linux from diskettes..". I do not have linux boot diskettes.
> all I have in the CD..
>
> Rathon.

There's a good chance that a machine big enough to run NT is new enough to be able to
boot from the CD drive; just make that change in the CMOS and reboot with the Debian
CD in the drive.

If your machine can't boot from the CD drive, from within a Command Prompt in CD, run
the "rawrite.exe" (or "rawrite2.exe") to create the linux boot disks you need.