Re: netscape 4.08 illegal instruction

Vincent Murphy wrote:

>  i used contrib/netscape4 to install the netscape navigator 4.08 tarball
> from ftp.netscape.com.  whenever i try to run it, it dies and i get this:
>
> $ /usr/local/netscape/netscape &
> [1] 4976
> $
> [1]+  Illegal Instruction     /usr/local/netscape/netscape
> $
>
>  should i use the communicator tarball or try navigator 4.07?  any info
> would be much appreciated.

I don't know what the error you are experiencing means but a couple days
ago I tried installing communicator 4.51.  The first attempt was with a
tarball from the supported section, it installed but wouldn't load, I
had tons of lib errors.  So I purged and downloaded the unsupported
tarball and that installed with no problems under Slink.
hth,
Kent