Re: No LILO Boot after Re-Install Windoze95

No changes to the setup and my bios is set to boot a,c. I had lilo boot windows
at /dev/hda4 and slink at /dev/hda1. Everything was running well, except that I
had to re-install Windows. I booted to Windows, went to command prompt,
re-installed Windows, then rebooted.

I expected lilo to be overwritten, but thought that if I booted by floppy to
slink and then ran lilo, it would re-install and work fine. Not the case. While
I could always boot slink from floppy, it would obviously be more convenient to
boot from disk.

Lilo was running without any warnings or errors. When I initially setup, I
couldn't get lilo to run, but instead got an endless stream of "01 01 01 01 01
01". Someone suggested that this might be a faulty lilo and to re-install,
which I did. Unfortunately, that was not the case. It was some fault on the
Windows side.

It seems like I remember reading somewhere once that the solution was to boot
using the Windows Rescue/Reboot disk and go to command prompt and do an "fdisk
/mbr" and then re-install lilo. But I've caused myself some extreme pain
mucking with the mbr on a guess. I've ran Linux servers for a couple of years
now, but setting up a dual-boot and making a desktop system is almost another
world.

Regards and thanks for any assist.

Jeff Hill

--