Re: diff.gz file size

Quoting XRDLAB (mysxrd@giasbg01.vsnl.net.in):
> On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, David Wright wrote:
>
> >No idea, but it's important not to unzip these files because the
> >checksums don't work anymore. If you want to browse them, either
> >make a copy before unzipping, or, better, use mc which will do this
> >magically on the fly.
>
> But it still does not answer my question. Why the difference in the
> size? How to get back the same if I decompress? Any maintainer who is
> reading this thread would like to clarify?

I did say "no idea" but here are some guesses.

It's tempting to think that if only you could get the size right,
everything would be ok, but it's not that simple. You need to
recreate a byte-identical copy for the checksum in .dsc to work.

Gzip maintains such things as ownership modes, access and modification
times. These will be included in the checksum of course. Quite how you
go about setting these correctly before gzipping it is beyond me.
What you are trying to do is not within gzip's specification.

I think you might be happy that you discovered this "gotcha" on such
a small file, and should address the problem of persuading netscape
from touching the .gz file.

Cheers,