Re: enlightenment locks system

I had my system choke and die a couple of times for no good reason
last week (after 51 days of uptime!).  The first time was a blown
fuse.  The second, I had both WP and staroffice open (dumb) trying to
read an excel spreadsheet some cretin sent me.  Started hearing a lot
of disk activity, suddenly the entire system was frozen.  No mouse
action, couldn't toggle the NumLock, nothing.  Hard reset, no harm
done, was fine for a day.  I figured I just ran out of memory since I
had Netscape running in the background also and resolved to pay more
attention to such things in the future.

The next day, I was just playing around in Netscape, loading a
sequence of annoyingly graphics-intensive web pages, and started
hearing the disk activity again.  Lagged over to a xterm and hit
"free":  I had zero free swap (out of 64MB).  Killed X real quick,
tried again, was fine.

Netscape, in windows, in my experience, always had a tendency to make
a system run progressively slower until either netscape was closed or
everything crashed.  I hadn't seen it under linux and thought it had
gotten fixed, but now I'm not so sure.  Maybe that's what you ran
into, too?

Rob

--
"Summit meetings tend to be like panda matings.	 The expectations are always
high, and the results usually disappointing."