security issue

Hi,

	I have a question regarding security issue with Debian and Linux in
general.  By now everyone has probably heard about the new Mellissa
virus.  I know that this doesn't affect Linux because it is related to
M$ products only.  However, I just wondered if anything of this sort
could happen to a Linux system?  I know that Linux in general is
actually quite secure, but what makes it so?  Just some information
about Linux security issue would be appreciated.  Thank you for any kind
of info.

Shawn