Re: MTA and SMTP ident

On Sun, Mar 28, 1999 at 07:32:52PM +0200, Martin Bialasinski wrote:

> >> "GC" == G Crimp <ye416@freenet.victoria.bc.ca> writes:
>
> GC> I think you are right, though, that it is the list software and
> GC> not the MTA that is silently discarding my mail.
>
> Also note that the list software doesn't see the SMTP envelope (it is
> not passed on final delivery).

	I am not sure about this, I can see the envelope From header on
messages sent to the lists.

> GC> My From: field is not a problem (thanks mutt !) but I'll give the
> GC> Sender header a crack and see if that makes a difference.
>
> Good Luck. It is not failure to have the Sender different from the
> From:-header. Actually the Sender should be the "correct" mailbox of
> the sender, even if he changes the From-header. Maybe you don't have a
> registred hostname for your box, and the list software tries to
> resolve it and fails (or such some).

	I tried both telling mutt to change Sender: and Return-Path:.  The
mail is still not getting through.  Can you tell me how the receiving end is
getting the user name off my local box (a dial in ppp link, not part of any
registered domain) [Reminder: on this box I am me-here@locallinuxbox, at one
of my pop servers I am me-there@my.isp.com.  The Sender: Return-Path: etc
headers are getting written me-here@my.isp.com]  At first I thought is was
the ident protocol (RFC1413), because I would see that in the Received:
headers sometimes.  However, I have told my local identd not to identify me,
and my mail is still ending up with my local ID attached to the domainname
of my ISP, so I think ident can't be the only culprit.  Is is possible that
the MAIL FROM: command in the SMTP protocol is responsible, and if so, is
there any way to circumvent ?

	TNA,

	Gerald