Re: What DO you lose with Linux ???

> Today' London "Sunday Times" feature "Innovation" (pp 10-11 of "News
> Review", http://www.sunday-times.co.uk ) has an article by David Hewson
> (of "Linux, the Program from Hell" fame) entitled "Linux wins backing of
> computing giants".
> Now that vmware is out ( http://www.vmware.com ) people who want to
> can run Windows applications on top of Linux without, it seems, losing
> much or indeed anything, so this could be the basis of another line of
> reply to Hewson's article: he can start up Linux and the "list of stuff I
> lose" would be empty because it would all still be there!
>
> Comments, info, contributions, anyone?

Running the W95/DOS/NT stuff inside WINE/VMWARE etc, may keep some people
happy, but it would be far better to get away from these and get native
Linux versions of software developed, i.e StarOffice, Corel WP8...

I have played around with VMWare and its not bad, but it needs a beast of a
Linux system to get a decent spec W95 emulation.  By that I mean Linux runs
perfectly well with Corel WP8 and StarOffice on a Pentium 120 and 48Meg, but
to keep the W95 people happy, you need at least a 266MMX and 128Meg plus a
complete copy of W95 etc in the virtual environment, plus whatever W95
software you want to run.

I also use WINE, but with this I only need a few windows support files plus
the windows application, so it integrates better into the Linux environment.

I have kept W95 around to run things like PhotoShop, but am gradually moving
away from that to 'The GIMP' which is a fantastic piece of software.

John