Re: Where is "/etc/rc.d/rc.local" on Debian?

On Sun, Mar 28, 1999 at 11:38:40AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 28, 1999 at 11:07:46AM +0200, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> > On debian-devel there has been talk about a better setup with dpkg-like
> > dependancies. This is a good thing. You don't have to bother with at
> > which priority to place a new service. You can just say "this service
> > must be started after networking and name services are available".
>
> Oh, this would really rock if it would work for xdm; if I could say "only
> start xdm once getty has grabbed all the virtual consoles listed for this
> runlevel in inittab."

Please coordinate with Hurd author Thomas Bushnell, BSG  <tb@mit.edu>.

He is thinking of such a beast for the Hurd, and he can share you his
ideas (and in fact, chances are that Debian GNU/Hurd would use this setup
right from the beginning).

(the hurd currently uses a primitive BSD style and has no runlevel concept)
(I am in progress of porting sort-of sysvinit to the hurd as an interim
solution, but a makefile style'ish setup is the long term goal).

Thanks,
Marcus