Re: Where is "/etc/rc.d/rc.local" on Debian?

On Sun, 28 Mar 1999, Marek Habersack wrote:

> > You are NEVER going to find a SRPM of HP FireHunter, or any other
> > commercial software pre-packaged for Red Hat.

> Well, such software won't make it into Debian then... I guess...

I don't care if FireHunter is not part of Debian, but you have to consider
this:  Not every piece of software that I'm going to want to run on my
Debian systems is going to be part of the Debian distribution.  In the
case of conventional (for lack of a better word) commercial software, it
is CERTAINLY not going to be part of the Debian distribution.  However, I
may want to run it.

Now, I can usually fiddle with it and, after a while, get it to work.
However, not everyone who may want to run the software can and even _I_
would prefer to have it install cleanly without effort because, in most
cases, I'd rather not have to mess with it.  Trying to figure out why
FlagShip doesn't seem to want to install correctly takes time away from
the work I really need to be doing, which is why I bought the software in
the first place.

Now, I'm ornery enough to usually fight my way through the difficulties,
heck, I even got Stronghold to work with PHP 3.6, but that ornerieness
won't last forever.  Eventually, I'll decide to not install software just
to avoid the trouble.

It occurs to me that the people who are trying to get the distributions to
all agree on the same directory structure may be going about this in the
wrong way.  If you can get the ISV's to support a single directory format,
then RedHat, at least, will use it.  (The process of doing this is, of
course, left as an exercise for the reader.)  This is because it is in the
ISV's best interest for there to be a standard, but it is in RedHat's
interest for there to be no standard at all.
--
Jonathan Guthrie (jguthrie@brokersys.com)
Brokersys  +281-895-8101   http://www.brokersys.com/