Re: (no subject)

> I am fed-up with MS and its products and OS.  I've looked to see how to
:)

> get Linux.  Unfortunately, I am not familiar at all with files,
> extensions, what how to download and zip, unzip.  Can someone tell how
> does this work?
Under Debian,  you'll download a set of basic installation files and
then either make a special boot disk or run an installer program.  The
program will help you install Debian (including reformatting your hard
drive and installing the basic Debian directories,  programs,  etc. ...).

There's a really good "How to Install Debian" set of web pages on the
Debian site:
ftp://ftp.debian.org/pub/debian/dists/slink/main/disks-i386/current/install.html

> I read pages and pages as to how to pre-install.... But no one said what
> is the file to download and how to unzip if zipped.  I appreciate your
Yes,  our files are compressed,  but there are some other tricks to them.
We've got a package manager called "dpkg" which does the unzipping and
installing for you. :)  You can't use dpkg until you've got the system
installed,  though,  so you have to follow the directions I just pointed
you to.  They'll set up enough of a base system that you'll be able to
use dpkg.

				let me know if you need help,
                     					Will

|             harpo@udel.edu lowe@cis.udel.edu lowe@debian.org           |
|			http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/		         |
|    PGP Public Key:  http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/index.html#pgpkey    |
|           You think you're so smart,  but I've seen you naked          |
|                  and I'll prob'ly see you naked again ...              |
|                 --The Barenaked Ladies,  "Blame It On Me"              |