(no subject)

Hi:
I am fed-up with MS and its products and OS.  I've looked to see how to
get Linux.  Unfortunately, I am not familiar at all with files,
extensions, what how to download and zip, unzip.  Can someone tell how
does this work?  If I need to install a windows based package, I know
that there are executable files.  With Linux, I don't know all of this.
I read pages and pages as to how to pre-install.... But no one said what
is the file to download and how to unzip if zipped.  I appreciate your
assistance.

Arfan