Re: Latest Versions of Gnome

On Sat, 27 Mar 1999, Rootguru wrote:
> ...where are they?  I haven't seen a new gnome .deb since 1.0.1.

Have a look at http://www.debian.org/~jules/gnome-stage-2, but be aware
that these packages are not yet in the distribution for a reason (they
will be moved once they're better tested). You can add this to
sources.list to get them with Apt:

deb http://www.debian.org/~jules/gnome-stage-2 unstable main

They are probably as good as the RPMs though, just not as good as the
typical Debian package.

> More importantly, if I wanted to just download the tarballs and do the
> install by hand, what's the best way to do it so that it conforms to what
> the .debs have installed so far (i.e., matching paths, etc.).  Has anyone
> tried converting the latest rpms to debs with alien?

Probably a bad idea. :-)

Havoc