Re: Question about mounting MS-DOS partition

On Sat, 27 Mar 1999, William R Pentney wrote:

> (I'm new to this mailing list, so if I am sending this message to the
> wrong place, please accept my apologies.)
>
> I have installed Debian 2.0 alongisde Windows 95 by splitting the Windows
> partition, and it was relatively headache free (phew!). I didn't leave as
> much room on the Linux partition as I would like to have, because there
> was some file at the end of the MS-DOS parition that defragging didn't
> move. This didn't concern me, because I figured I could just mount the
> MS-DOS partition and use it for extra space. But my roommate, who assisted
> me with the installation, said that it's not a good idea to
> store and run Linux programs on the MS-DOS partition. Is this true, and if
> so, why?
>
> Oh, and might anyone know what the file is at the end of my MS-DOS
> partition? I don't run any sort of disk compression program.

It probably has either a S or H attribute.  I assume you used fips to
split the partition.  The fips documentation deals with this.  You need
disable virtual memory, remove these attributes from any files which have
them (keep a list), defrag, reinstate the attributes.

Bob

----