annoying server messages in BitchX

When I use BitchX I get a lot of messages of the form:

[net]!efnet.telstra.net.au motd was last changed at 8/10/1998 20:40
[net]Foreign OperKill: Dustyn killed Stupid (flooder)

which I assume are coming from the server.  I've looked everywhere I can think
of for information on what setting I can tweak to eliminate them but I've had
no luck.

One interesting point is that I didn't receive these messages when I compiled
BitchX myself before switching to Debian two months ago.

Can anyone shed any light?

--
David Porter
dporter@turing.une.edu.au