Re: CD-R/RW Question

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, Kenneth Scharf wrote:

> I have gotten CD-R disks for as low as 10 cents each (after a rebate on
> a 10 pack.).

And the rebate company sells the list of adresses they collect to all
sorts of nice warm and fuzzy firms. :)

> Also I think you can't even buy a CD-R drive anymore, all
> the new ones are CD-RW (which also write CD-R's).  Compusa and best buy
> have periodicly had IDE CD-RW drives on sale for $149-$199 after rebate.
>  I havn't gotten one yet (OK as soon as the price gets below $149 I
> will) but I understand that to use the IDE kind you have to enable scsi
> emulation in the kernel.  I tried this with my ide CD-rom drive and it
> works fine (except for the XCDplayer).

Even though I've seen no hard evidence, I still worry about data
throughput with a burner on an IDE chain.

> I have also been told that the 2x and 4x drives only will write ONCE at
> that speed without powering down the computer (and therefore the drive)
> to let it cool down.  But you can burn forever at 1x.  Anyone had this
> problem?

Is this supposedly for IDE's?  I've never had this problem with my SCSI
(at 2x).  I can't imagine they'd sell very many drives this way.

-Dano