Re: K-Rad Debian?

On Fri, Mar 26, 1999 at 09:50 -0600, Oleg Krivosheev wrote:

> hi
>
>    3) Is there an easy way to build ALL the packages in slink from
>       source?
>
> i've heard about such idea(s) before. The real question is -
> do you need to rebuild ALL packages? I doubt rebuilding
> ls and such will do any difference. The only visible
> difference might be if you rebuild FEW critical packages/libs.
>
> Try to rebuild/reinstall K6 optimized:
>
> - kernel
> - glibc
> - X11
> - netbase/netstd?
>
> after that i would be very grateful to hear about
> any speedup you discovered.

Somehow I get the sneaking feeling it wouldn't really be worth all the
hassle: By the time everything compiles cleanly computer power will have
dropped suffciently in power to render the exercise futile ;)

Seriously though, I agree that recompiling the above bits would probably
take the distro up to the edge of diminishing returns. But, hey, if someone
has the time, I'm all for it.

BTW, does pcgc use 3dnow yet?

Cheers
	Dave

--
         Dave Swegen           | Debian 2.0 on Linux i386 2.2.3
<dave@recursive.prestel.co.uk> | PGP key available on request